Home Garden No-No Plants for Pups

No-No Plants for Pups

The following substances are highly toxic to puppies and adult dogs, and should always be avoided in a dog-friendly landscape:

poisonCocoa mulch: “Even though it’s not a plant, it’s one of the most common poisonings from backyard gardens,” says Dr. Jenelle Vail of the Humane Society of Boulder Valley Veterinary Clinic. “Cocoa mulch is made from the cocoa tree and thus has the same toxins in chocolate that induce vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate and potential death in dogs. Dogs love to eat this stuff, so it’s an absolute no-no in the garden with dogs.”

Mouse/rat poisons: “These are bad news and a common source of poisonings. They should never be anywhere on a property with dogs or cats. If a mouse ingests the poison, wanders up to the house, dies, and then the dog eats it, that’s instant exposure. Most rodenticides contain anticoagulants that cause the exposed animal to be unable to clot and therefore bleed to death.”

Insecticides: “There are many different insecticides, many of which cause neurological issues in animals.” Although any plant can cause a toxic reaction if an animal eats enough of it, some plants are more poisonous to dogs than others. “Normal dogs are not going to eat random plants,” says Jenelle Vail, a veterinarian with the Humane Society of Boulder Valley Veterinary Clinic. “Puppies would be the ones to worry about.”

She suggests avoiding the following plants if you have puppies running about: Foxglove and lily of the valley: “Both are heart toxic and definitely one of the more dangerous plants.” Tulips, daffodils, irises: “The flowers and bulbs can cause gastro- intestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea.” Larkspur: “Although it’s rarely eaten, it can induce vomiting and diarrhea.” —Carol Brock

Previous articleOut & About: Creating Outdoor Rooms
Next articleTop 10 Uses for Fresh Lavender